The Museum Without Walls is a createROSS project.
CreateROSS was formed in 2016, and is a constituted voluntary community group aiming to
- enhance people’s lives through creativity, inspiration, fun and self-expression principally, but not exclusively, in Ross-on-Wye and South Herefordshire.
- Encourage the development of high quality artistic creation in Ross-on-Wye and the appreciation of this by the local community.
In 2017, through the Herefordshire’s a Great Place project’s Hidden Gems grant scheme, we were awarded a grant to recreate digitally a lost fountain on The Prospect.
This was just the first of a growing, exciting and ambitious portfolio of exhibits you’ll find on this site and through the apps that constitute our “museum.”
Plenty to do
Ross-on-Wye has a rich and fascinating history. Through the millennia the town has seen Roman forts and Anglo Saxon palaces. Viking raids from the river and major battles during the English Civil War all form part of the rich historical tapestry of this beautiful town on the banks of the Wye. Kings, generals, politicians and poets have all played their part, and an exciting new initiative, a ‘Museum without Walls’ is being developed to celebrate the vibrant history of the town using cutting edge technology to bring the past to life for residents and visitors alike.
Continue the journey with us as we develop the scope of this great project.
We have funding for our first 3 exhibits. Where should we go next? Use the Contact page to let us know what you think. Here are a few suggestions:
- Ross railway station (Ashburton Industrial Estate)
- The Roxy Cinema (The Maltings)
- Alton Court Brewery (Station Street)
- St Mary’s chancel screen (removed 1820) and missing Rudhall monument.
- Ross Workhouse (Ross Community Hospital)
- Your idea …